Water is very good at dissolving and holding minerals. As water travels to your home it comes into contact with natural minerals, most commonly calcium and magnesium, which are dissolved and held in the water. Once water has accumulated enough dissolved mineral it becomes "hard water".
Hard water is softened by removing the calcium and magnesium it contains, and one of the most effective methods of softening water is through a process called "ion exchange". When hard water passes through the softening system’s resin bed, it chemically exchanges the hard ions in the water with soft ones, so only softened water passes through to your home.
Over time, the resin bed will fill up with hardness ions and must be cleaned or "regenerated". Sodium chloride (salt) or potassium chloride is typically used in the regeneration process which cleans and restores the resin to a clean and ready state so the ion exchange process can begin again. Learn more by watching the video below.
Not all water softeners are the same, though. Most still use outdated and inefficient technology from the 1950s (single tanks with electric timers). That means they:
- Use electric or electronic controls, which are unreliable, inefficient and subject to power failures
- Are costly to repair
- Make you guess how much soft water you'll need rather than provide what you actually use
- After five years, most are working at less than 50 percent capacity
Kinetico water softeners are different. They're designed right from the start to fit the needs of modern families and completely hydrate every aspect of your home.
- Always ready. Our multitank approach means no waiting—you always have as much soft water as you can use 24/7/365
- Efficient. Because Kinetico systems are driven by the power of moving water, you have no electric timers to repair, no electric bills to pay and less environmental impact
- Easy to use. If you need more soft water, your Kinetico system makes more; if you use less, it stays on standby
- With you for the long haul. Every Kinetico system is backed by the longest and most comprehensive warranty to work hard for your family for years to come
- Professionally installed. A Kinetico water specialist will work with you to make sure your system is perfectly tuned to fit the needs of your home and family
Ten Good Reasons to Consider a Kinetico Twin or Quad Tank Softener
- Non-electric operation
- No timers, switches or computers to set, break or repair
- Uses clean, conditioned water to recharge itself, which prolongs its useful life
- Control-valve parts operate only in clean, conditioned water so they last longer
- Always ready to produce soft water
- Makes as much water as you need. One tank is online while the other recharges
- No reserve capacity needed
- No special cycles or by-pass adjustments needed when you have company or go on vacation
- No waste : Makes water when you use it instead of at a preset interval
- Third-party certified with a 10-year manufacturer's warranty on entire system